Warrior Dash Michigan will be my third Warrior Dash race in three years. Go ahead, call me a pioneer. I signed up for the inaugural running of the Warrior Dash in 2009 after seeing an ad on Facebook of a guy jumping over fire. This somehow got me excited to drive five hours to this insane race outside of Chicago but none of my friends would go with me except my brother who went along for the ride. In 2010 my brother-in-law and his cousin made the drive with me to Joliet for a more organized and challenging Warrior Dash experience and this year I’m happy and thrilled to make the ten minute drive to Warrior Dash Michigan in Mt. Morris!
I learned a lot my first two years running the Warrior Dash and here are some true yet not-so serious tips that I’ve picked up along the muddy road.
- Don’t worry about shaving on race day because you can enter to win the “best beard”
- If you want to be one of the “cool kids” then you better wear something outrageous
- Don’t stop when running through mud or you will be finishing the race barefoot
- Donating your mud caked shoes to charity after the race means you don’t have to clean them
- Don’t stress if you miss your scheduled heat; stay cool and jump in the next one
- Wear sunscreen or suffer
- Don’t feel bad if you need to walk; some people will be walking before they reach the first obstacle
- The bag check is really handy if they can find your bag on the table with a 1,000 that look just like it
- When in pain smile and remind yourself you paid a lot of money for this “experience”
- Don’t be “that guy” who wears the fuzzy warrior helmet during the race in 90 degree weather
Have you run the Warrior Dash before? If so, what are your tips?